Sharing folders with nautilus

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Mon Mar 14 08:11:27 CST 2005

Guillaume Desmottes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When i launch shares-admin (System -> Administration) and if samba or
> nfs-user-server packages aren't installed, it displays a message saying
> NFS and/or SMB must be installed to share folders.
>
> I think it's not very user-friendly for the user who don't know the
> exact name of the packages.
> Some solutions to solve this problem:
>
> * Add these packages during the installation. Not ideal because they
> launch 2 deamons and most of the users don't need them.
> * Indicate the name of these packages, so they can easily be installed
> with synaptic by the user.
> * Propose to install one of the packages and launch synaptic to do it.
> Better but require a hack into the code of shares-admin.

That last one's good.  Ask to do it for the user, then state the
ramifications.  If the user has a public IP (RFC1918), ask if he wants
to block the Internet from samba.  Disable samba there if possible.  If
samba wants to listen everywhere, iptables can also bounce packets back
with a FRIENDLY ICMP icmp‐port‐unreachable; I hate the tradition of
dumping packets so people trying to connect have to wait 10 minutes to
find out that they can't connect.

It's always better to give the user the option to do something, rather
than tell him to go  open outlook, then look up at the top, see file
edit blahblahblah click on tools, pull it down, go to accounts, then
when the window comes up click on the mail tab, highlight the blue text.
. . .  Just have a button that goes there, one step.  Even MS Help opens
half their tools for you (open _Device_Manager_ (click)) so you don't
have to hunt.

> I hope a solution will be found for the release.
>
> 	G.

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond