grub, large drives, and old bios

Adam Lydick lydickaw at ruffledpenguin.org
Mon Mar 14 05:03:46 CST 2005

[If this would be better to file in bugzilla, please let me know which
package to file against. Thanks!]

One of my workstations has a large drive (200GB) and an older bios that
doesn't seem to support GRUB. (I've only gotten it to work with LILO,
previously) Thus, the standard warty install fails to boot.

The manufacturer (Sony) does not provide any updates, so moving to a
newer BIOS version doesn't seem to be an option.

Could partitioner default to creating a small /boot partition to ensure
compatibility with somewhat dated systems? I manually partitioned on my
second try to have a 50MB /boot at the beginning of the disk and
everything went smoothly (with GRUB).

Thanks,

Adam