ACPI support in Hoary

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Mar 13 09:49:20 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 02:58 -0500, thully at umich.edu wrote:

> However, currently, there is no GUI to configure this.  Additionally, enabling
> suspend/hibernate currently requires editing configuration files.  Is a GUI to
> configure this still planned for Hoary?  I unfortunately don't know GTK
> programming, so I am unable to work on this.  It seems that basically, the
> applet would have to be able to remap the actions of the suspend/hibernate
> buttons and closing the lid, as well as allowing the modification of options
> that are in /etc/default/acpi-support.

Hibernate is enabled by default on new installs. It's difficult to
provide for upgrades because it would have to overwrite some existing
configuration. A GUI would be nice, but I'm afraid it's something that I
just ran out of time to deal with. If anyone else would like to take a
look, that would be massively useful.

> Also on the topic of ACPI, currently by default no modules except for a few are
> unloaded/reloaded on suspend/resume.  However, there are several that need
> this, including my own ipw2200 wireless card (however, a new version of the
> driver may fix this).  Could we add devices such as these that are known to
> have problems w/suspend to the "unload on suspend" list?

All network cards should be automatically unloaded/loaded. Please file a
bug if that's not happening.

> Finally, is there any consensus on the issue of what the ACPI default settings
> should be?  Should suspend be enabled or disabled by default?  Also, it seems
> that resume=<swap partition> should be in the default kernel options - could
> this be implemented?

Suspend will be disabled by default on x86 in Hoary. It's just not
stable enough yet. The resume from disk issue has been dealt with in a
slightly more elegant way that doesn't require any kernel parameters.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org