Request to remove "winesetuptk" package from universe

Mark Shuttleworth mark at
Sat Mar 12 07:02:24 CST 2005

Hi Scott, Oliver, Daniel & MOTU

This confusion is my fault, I apologise for not mailing ubuntu-devel
when Scott and I first agreed that he would lead the WINE packages in
universe. At that stage the MOTU framework was embryonic and I didn't
think to let the early MOTU's know about this.

I'm very excited about bringing upstreams into the team. In many cases
they have exceptional app-specific knowledge and can speak with
authority on the core software and it's best use, or intended use.
Combine that with the Ubuntu team (MOTU and main) which has excellent
experience in packaging, interoperability, translation and porting, and
we have a great mix.

In this way I think we will be able to set the pace for other
distributions to keep up.

Taking the lead like that is always something of a risk, because we
might go down a worng alleyway. We have take those risks in the past and
will do so again. For example,, udev, kernel 2.6 and other
decisions all involved breaking new ground. When we do that, it's very
important that the new packages are of excellent quality, I'm very glad
that the MOTU response to the WINE proposals was focused on package
quality. We should be able to coach and help the upstream folks to
become first-class contributors with a good understanding of the
specific issues that are part of being inside a distribution like
Ubuntu. I'd like to thank Daniel Holbach, AJ Mitchell and Oliver Grawert
for their continuing hard work in universe mentoring new contributors -
that is what will, in the long term, make people trust the packages in

When it comes to package standards, quality and security the ultimate
decision rests with Matt and his team on the Tech Board. Everyone -
main, MOTU and upstream will need to respect decisions from the TB.

In this case I've no doubt Scott will be happy to take on board specific
technical requirements and issues with the new packages. I'm looking
forward to testing WINE, I've never used it and if it works for
QuickBooks on Ubuntu I can think of two people who will be rid of
Windows forever... a very happy thought indeed :-)

So, in summary, thanks very much Scott for bringing your upstream
expertise to the table here. If this work is as good as I think it can
be, it will no doubt be requested by Debian users and then move into
experimental / sid. Don't hold back in leading on the WINE front, with
the proviso that the MOTU guys and ultimately the TB carry the
responsibility for consistency and integrations standards across the
distro and these packages will need to pass their tough scrutiny.

Thanks to Jeff Waugh for alerting me to this thread, and to the Master
OTU for their excellent work.

PS - MOTU, if you can build other really good relationships with
upstream and invite them to participate in the distro, I'd be thrilled
and I think Ubuntu would become even better as a result.