nvidia drivers problem with latest kernel upgrade

Fabio Massimo Di Nitto fabbione at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 12 02:09:57 CST 2005

Jeroen Janssen wrote:
| Hello,
|
| I would like to confirm that I have the exact same problem.
|
| I'm now wondering if there was also a linux-restricted-modules package
| update or not (and whether that's 'our' problem).
|
| ---
| Jeroen Janssen
|

| Maximilian Gerlach wrote:
|

|>Hi everyone.
|>After the last dist-upgrade which included a kernel upgrade I got an X
|>error.
|>It's now working with nv but this has problems with my multihead setup.
|>The problem seems to lie here:
|>
|>root at FNORD ~ # modprobe nvidia
|>FATAL: Error inserting nvidia
|>(/lib/modules/2.6.10-4-686-smp/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid
|>module format
|>
|>Regards,
|>Maxi

It is a kernel problem. It will be fixed as soon as we can track down what broke down.

The biggest issue right now is that it works for some people and not for others. It is
the first time we saw this kind of breakage in the kernel ABI.

Fabio

- --
Self-Service law:
The last available dish of the food you have decided to eat, will be
inevitably taken from the person in front of you.