Request to remove "winesetuptk" package from universe

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Fri Mar 11 17:01:35 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 14:41 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 12:54:00AM -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
>
> > This package is useless.  It doesn't help create useful Wine
> > configurations anymore, and it really confuses new Wine users.  It
> > should be removed from the repositories.
>
> Is there an alternative that we can recommend in its place, when users ask
> "where is winesetuptk"?
>
> --
>  - mdz

Yes, there is a great alternative - Winetools.  I maintain the winetools
(alongside the wine packages) at the repositories at
http://www.winehq.org/

Winetools gives very simple GUI setup and eases installation of software
useful to Wine (you can even install Internet Explorer in like 3
clicks).

I've been hounding the developer about releasing a new version recently
that acknowledges the new Wine versions, and I've been doing some work
myself on getting menu entries for it all, but as of now everything
works great from the console.  Just install Wine (fresh), then install
winetools, and type "winetools" at the console.

In the next 6 hours or so I'll be uploading new versions of the Wine and
Winetools packages (we just had a release)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie
Wine Usability Wannabe Guru