Installation report of Ubuntu 5.04-preview (on ASUS laptop)

Yann KLIS yann.klis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 13:35:25 CST 2005

Hi all,

Just a little report of the installation of Ubuntu hoary preview on a
ASUS laptop code name M6BCE16-RWDL (M6 series).
The network card (Broadcom), the wifi card (ipw2200), the USB mouse,
the Radeon9700 and the screen (@1280x800) were correctly detected and
configured. And the special keys are working great!
However, I still have some problem with rhythmbox and ACPI.
Whatever internet radio I try to listen to, rhythmbox complains about
"There is no element present to handle the stream's mime type
audio/mpeg." But I have gstreamer-mad installed. What can I do to
improve the situation?
Regarding ACPI support, it seems that ASUS laptops have some buggy
ACPI support in their bios. According to http://m6n.ath.cx/m6n.html
recompiling the DSDT table would be sufficient to get ACPI working.
How can I do that under Ubuntu?

BTW, will there be some support for RubyOnRails in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance,

yk