FAI Automatic Installation - ongoing work, priority vs. other important tasks

Henning Sprang henning.sprang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 10:01:28 CST 2005

Hello,
As some of might have recognized, I created a patched version of FAI
(http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/ ) that is able to install
Ubuntu automatically in contrary to the actual version of FAI in
hoary, which would by default install a debian sarge system.

It can be found at http://www.sprang.de/download/ubuntu/ and is
actually waiting for review by a MOTU to possibly get incorporated in
hoary.

I have lots of further ideas what could be done with FAI in general
and for ubuntu,
see http://www.sprang.de/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_install_with_FAI for
the full list if interested. All of them together are a long way to
go, I can make guesses how much work they are, but the timeframe it
will take until finished is hard to predict as I can only invest some
evenings per week and some days at weekends because I am working full
time and sometimes even more.

It's not clear if anybody will have the time to do the review to get
the actual state of my patch into hoary, because that's a work that
takes quite some time to setup FAI and the needed network services
(dhcp, nfs, bootp/pxe) and needs some real or virtual hardware one can
test installations on.

So at this point, I ask myself, and want to discuss it with you, if it
would help Ubuntu's forthcoming more if I'd rather help with other
important tasks until the release of hoary is made, and only then go
on to work on my plans with FAI/Ubuntu - what do you think?
Suggestions for things more important I could tackle are also welcome
- my abilities are listed at HenningSprang in the wiki.

What do you think?

Henning