Menu protocol.

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Wed Mar 9 10:54:33 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 21:02 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:36:03 -0800, George Farris wrote:
> > Whats the protocol as far as adding a top level menu under Applications?
> > I want to port a number of Ham radio apps over and put them in their own
> > menu called.. wait for it.. Amateur Radio.
> >
> > Would this be frowned upon?  The apps would be coming from universe.
>
> I think it'd be better to formalise a new category as an extension to the
> FDO .desktop spec, then adjust the upstream menu XML definition, assuming
> there is one (they always look the same on GNOME based distros so I expect
> there is).
>
> That way it's not Ubuntu specific.

OK. Just out of curiosity can you point me to docs that explain the top
level Applications menu?  I'd like to hack on this locally first before
suggesting any changes.  It's always nice to see what it looks like
first...  I did add a menu in /usr/share/desktop-directories and a top
level menu in /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu however, an application
that was in "Other" which I moved to the new menu now shows up in both.
Is this information cached somewhere?

George Farris   farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Malaspina University-College

As with the rail barons of the past:
There is no reason why the computer industry should have to put up
with 'private standards' any longer. The word 'incompatible' is a
dirty word. It's time to run those who insist on using it out of the
business.