Release status update (or, Hoary and you)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Mar 6 16:41:13 CST 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 11:28:49AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 02:13:21PM +1100, Nick Loeve wrote:
> > As an aside... could the people responsible for the Hoary Goals please
> > review the Hoary Release Notes, and let me know if there are items that
> > should have more of a blurb, are not going to be included in Hoary, or
> > if i am missing contributors.
> >
> > A HTML preview is available at
> > http://people.ubuntu.com/~mako/docteam/release-notes/ReleaseNotes.html
> >
> > When you all have a chance that is :)
>
> Thanks, this looks great.  A few points of note:
>
> [...]
>
> - CCing Daniel Stone for a summary of what improvements are manifest in
>   Hoary's X.org compared to Warty's XFree86

Vastly improved hardware support -- we now support every major card on
the market (Matrox and IBM are about the two vendors we lack support
for, and they're not pushing much).  Speed improvements through
acceleration for the Render extension in the standard and proprietary
ATI drivers, and in the proprietary nVidia drivers.  Improved
autodetection, which should now work in almost every case.