Java in Ubuntu

Remy Maucherat remy.maucherat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 11:00:34 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:34:08 -0800, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Our strategy should be quite clear from the content on that wiki page:
>
>     * The default Java VM should be gij
>     * The default Java compiler should be ecj
>     * Java libraries should be compiled to native code using gcj where it works
>     * We don't currently have a solid open source option for a browser plugin, but are investigating options to bring gcjwebplugin up to par

I see that in the "Recommendation" paragraph.
This seems a good solution. It would work well with client applications.

If profiles are eventually added to Ubuntu (as I've seen it discussed)
with some server oriented ones, it would be good to add in the next
release cycle:
* a JITted VM for server applications which need it (ex: Tomcat), as
the gcj/gij way seems to be bad for this sort of application (as
reported by Tomcat contributors who like native code more than I do);
at the moment, I'd recommend Kaffe for this usage

I'll try to hang around on IRC :)

Rémy