Enabled repositories in default install

John Skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jun 27 04:06:41 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 09:22 +0200, Ante Karamatić wrote:

> Don't get me wrong. Main really is great. Most of the Ubuntu success is
> because of good main. But telling that universe is something that's
> unsupported is bad, bad marketink. Yes, I know Ubuntu doesn't have
> marketing, but it shouldn't have bad marketing either.

Of course it has marketing :)

I don't agree at all that telling people stuff in universe
is unsupported is bad. On the contrary, it is precisely
the willingness to admit that they're human and have finite
resources, that makes such a message lend the Ubuntu team
credibility. They sound honest, because they're not
promising the world .. let alone the whole universe.. :))

>  Making some sort
> of run away from it means loosing users and, even worse, running away
> from comunity. And that's not what Ubuntu is all about.

On the contrary, the need to participate in the community
to get help with 'universe' packages is a good thing.

No one said 'unsupported' meant 'non-existent'.

I have an unsupported Microsoft C++ compiler on my XP system.
It is exactly the same compiler that is provided with
their commercial, expensive, supported toolkit.

But if there is a bug, I can't ask Microsoft for help.
I have to ask the user community.

It is the same for Ubuntu. In order to provide first
class support for some packages, less must be provided
for others, so users are on notice they will have to
appeal to the wider community, of Ubuntu users in
the first instance .. or even the upstream author
if necessary.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net