AudioInfrastructure, general desktop hotplug daemon

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 23 16:37:11 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 12:56:04PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:

> (4) Create an universal, modular, and extensible common desktop
>     hotplug client "event-notifier". Throw away update-notifier and
>     gnome-volume-manager and implement their functionality into
>     modules of event-notifier.
>   + Clean design, should be extensible with
>     "/etc/desktop-hotplug-foo/{device,package,log,gamin}.d/<module>"
>     files so that packages can just register new actions without much
>     fiddling.
>   + Solves the problem once and for all.
>
> Obviously (4) is the solution we actually want. I discussed this with
> Michael a bit and it seems that we can even make this efficient by
> adding a kind of "filter" expression to every module that can be
> evaluated quickly, which avoids calling all modules for every received
> event. However, the design of the module, file structure, and filter
> descriptions requires a good deal of thought. It is nothing that one
> person can/should design in two hours on a lazy afternoon, it should
> rather become an extended BoF at the next conference.

I like (4) except for the bit about throwing away update-notifier and
gnome-volume-manager.  I assume we could do this in such a way as to do the
transition in stages, though, yes?

Have you discussed our problem with the GNOME folks (especially the g-v-m
maintainer) to see what they suggest?  There are surely other applications
for such a system.

> Since I don't think that we can implement (4) in a really good way for
> Breezy, my gut feeling is that we should do the Ugly Hack (tm)
> described in (3) for Breezy, and come up with a really good solution
> for Breezy+1.

I think that if we keep (4) very simple, and don't try to transition
existing applications to it, it should be achievable for Breezy.  However,
it is certainly more work than some of the other solutions.

Did you consider having the mixer applet listen for these events?  It would
be nice to have that applet integrated with sound card selection anyway.

--
 - mdz