rules

Søren Hansen sh at warma.dk
Thu Jun 23 03:31:17 CDT 2005

tor, 23 06 2005 kl. 09:32 +0200, skrev Leslie Viljoen:
> I don't properly understand how the "rules" file gets used. It get's written
> with the aim of installing the package in <whatever build
> dir>/debian/<package name> -
> but then when the package is built and installed, everything under
> <package name>
> goes into the filesystem root.

Let's just imagine a package with just one file in it (forget about the
stuff in /usr/share/doc for a while). Let's call it foo and imagine it
belongs in /usr/bin.
In your source package directory, you have your foo file.
The rules file will install this into $(CURDIR)/debian/foo/usr/bin/foo
That's just the first step! The debian/foo directory is used to build
the actual package file. debian/foo is treated as the root, and
everything beneath it is put into the package without
the /home/....../debian/foo part. So when the package is in the archive
and you fetch it, it has NO idea that it was ever
in /home/blah/foo-0.1/debian/foo.

Did that help?

--
Salu2, Søren.