Crash while upgrading kernel & stable releases

Markus Kolb ubuntu-ml at tower-net.de
Mon Jun 20 17:36:15 CDT 2005

Matt Zimmerman wrote on Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 14:42:53 -0700:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 11:34:56PM +0200, Markus Kolb wrote:

[...]
> I don't know what gave you that impression, but I do know why you want this.
> I am explaining the way it actually works today, and why.

You have only written that selfcompiled kernel modules must be
recompiled. Is that a reason against availability?

> > There are many possibilities where a kernel update isn't finished
> > succesful. It need not to be bug or a crashed machine. Anyone switches
> > off the computer during installation of the new package or the power
> > is lost.
>
> That is not true.  The packaging system is very careful about this, and an
> interrupted installation should not make the system unbootable.

What is not true? That a kernel update doesn't finish succesful if I
switch off power during write?
The packaging system moves the old files to .dpkg-tmp and installs
the new files. If succesful it deletes dpkg-tmp or it restores the old
state. Right?
What happens if old file is moved but new file is not installed and
power is switched off? Unconsistent state of package installation.
You can't be sure that every byte is written to right place.
Because of this there should be a functional kernel installation during
the whole process of kernel package upgrade which is untouched during
upgrade process.