Little change on /lib/lsb/init-functions

Alberto González reydelamirienda at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:36:28 CDT 2005

Well, I've been playing a bit with it, and I currently make my ubuntu
boot to say "Hey, you are booting me!" when the system boots, along
with the normal messages. I haven't progressed more because I have a
horrible Turing Machines an AI exam on wednesday and it takes full
time.

On 6/17/05, Taco Witte <tcwitte at cs.uu.nl> wrote:
> Op wo, 15-06-2005 te 15:29 +0200, schreef Taco Witte:
> > Karl Hegbloom wrote:

> > > Are you saying that it should use 'dpkg-divert'? I don't like that
> > > approach very well. It would be better to implement some sort of
> > > overlay or PATH-shadowing system. Overlay would work best, so that the
> > > base functionality of the LSB init-functions could still be accessed
> > > without needing to duplicate it.
> >
> > I'd propose to hide the output of the initscripts by default instead.
> > This makes things like localization easy because there's nothing to
> > localize (a 'start' message could be replaced by a dot to indicate
> > progress). And I think the user shouldn't be bothered with information
> > he/she doesn't need.
> > See bug #6794 and #10197 for an approach. In this approach, the output
> > of initscripts isn't displayed on boot but only when scripts are used
> > manually (such as on the command line or when installing packages). And
> > this behavior is configurable with the same boot parameters that are
> > used to control the output of the kernel (quiet, splash).
>
> It seems the discussion has stalled a bit -- does nobody have an
> opinion? The idea to hide the output of initscripts (or display as
> normal) has a working implementation (just look in the bugs).
>
> Kind regards,
> Taco

I don't use Explorer, do you?
Get Mozilla Firefox: