Faster Boot

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Wed Jun 15 11:18:56 CDT 2005

Hi,
In http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/FasterBoot I see:

- Profile file opens with inotify to optimize readahead file list.

I made something similar for Fedora some times ago. Fedora doesn't
provide iNotify (and has no plans to do so...) so I gave up. Since
Breezy will have it, I'll work on that again for Ubuntu 5.10

The idea was to have a daemon start ASAP in the boot process (just after
/sbin/init) and record all read files. Then, a userland prog can ask it
to dump the list of files that were read.
I implemented also a start/stop/pause mechanism and CheckPoint also.
This way we can:
- Load the previously saved readahead list of files without it being
blindly added to the current list.
- CheckPoint the boot process (BeforeServices, EndOfServices,
AfterXorgStart, AfterUserSession is up, ...)

I'll try to make it working on Ubuntu now and let you know.
-jec

--
Jean-Eric Cuendet
Riskpro Technologies SA