Debian concordance

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 14 14:31:17 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 09:34:00PM +1000, John Skaller wrote:

> At least one reason for asking -- I am packaging the Felix programming
> language toolkit for Debian at the moment.  Clearly, I'd like to
> have it on Ubuntu too -- I'm running Ubuntu *and* I'm the upstream
> author. But I don't really want to separately maintain yet another
> package .. apart from the source tarball build there would be a
> Godi package, a Debian package, and an Ubuntu package (and I haven't
> looked at rpm's or whatever other distros use yet) .. not to
> mention Windows installers, OSX packages.. .. ARGGGGGG ...

The right way to handle this is to get your package into Ubuntu and Debian
via the usual channels.  Then you just upload source, and Ubuntu and Debian
take care of the builds, and everyone gets binaries which work on their
chosen platform.

     ocaml | 3.08.3-3ubuntu1 | http://us.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/main Packages
     ocaml |   3.08.3-3 | http://http.us.debian.org unstable/main Sources

--