Debian concordance

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Jun 14 08:05:21 CDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 10:40:28PM +1000, John Skaller wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 21:50 +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > No, it doesn't call it anything different, or incompatible.
>
> I get conflicts .. heck, it tried to uninstall the system
> C library on me. Thats all I can tell you at the moment,
> I'm working from memory.. (I don't want to try it again,
> it was too scary .. :)

That's because you're asking it to resolve a more or less impossible
situation with regards to keeping dependencies fulfilled.

> > If sid has 2.3.5 (which I think it does), and Hoary 2.3.2 (which it
> > definitely does), it does mean that you can't mix and match sid and
> > hoary packages, because things have changed too majorly.
>
> Huh? How can this be?
>
> My understanding is:
>
> When the patch level changes the library is not allowed
> to change 'majorly'. A binary that runs with 2.3.2 must
> run with 2.3.5: library upgrade is required to be transparent
> over the patch level. Multiple versions with distinct minor
> version numbers are distinct at run time and can co-exist.
>
> Do you know what the problem is?

libc6 added interfaces between 2.3.2 and 2.3.5 and made several other
major changes, so all packages built with .5 depend on .5 or above,
in case you use one of the new interfaces.

A binary built with 2.3.2 can run with .5, but a binary built with .5
can't necessarily run with .2.