Touchpad support for X.org ?

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sun Jun 12 13:17:26 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-12 at 15:15 +0100, Thom May wrote:
> * Daniel Stone (daniel at fooishbar.org) wrote :
> > Every Ubuntu install (since Warty) has written a Synaptics section if
> > laptop-detect determines that you're on a laptop.
> >
> if laptop-detect doesn't detect you're on a laptop, please send me your
> dmidecode output, and let me know whether the laptop uses acpi or apm.

laptop-detect returns $? == 0, so it works, provided the 'battery'
module is loaded, which I suppose is true for the installer kernel.  I
build 'battery' as a module, because I want to figure out how to swap
out the spare battery for the DVD-RAM during a hibernate cycle.  (I
think I can use fake IDE hotplug for that, but have not tried it.)

As an aside... we really need a battery recalibration / reconditioning
program for Linux.

The dmidecode output shows that the OEM did not fill out all of the
fields in the BIOS, ie, serial numbers, etc.  The chassis type is
reported as 'desktop'.

One more clue you could add to laptop-detect might be to check for a
"Mobile" processor.  I bet you can simply grep for "Version: Mobile" and
get that.  There are "desktop replacement" laptops that are not using
mobile CPU's or chipsets.  I guess that checking for a battery is the
most likely test to succeed in the most laptops.

Handle 0x0004
        DMI type 4, 35 bytes.
        Processor Information
                Socket Designation: CPU 1
                Type: Central Processor
                Family: Pentium M
                Manufacturer: Intel
                ID: XX XX XX XX
                Signature: Type 0, Family 6, Model 9, Stepping 5
                Flags:
                        FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
                        VME (Virtual mode extension)
                        DE (Debugging extension)
                        PSE (Page size extension)
                        TSC (Time stamp counter)
                        MSR (Model specific registers)
                        MCE (Machine check exception)
                        CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
                        APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
                        SEP (Fast system call)
                        MTRR (Memory type range registers)
                        PGE (Page global enable)
                        MCA (Machine check architecture)
                        CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
                        PAT (Page attribute table)
                        CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
                        DS (Debug store)
                        ACPI (ACPI supported)
                        MMX (MMX technology supported)
                        FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
                        SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
                        SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
                        TM (Thermal monitor supported)
                        SBF (Signal break on FERR)
                Version: Mobile Genuine Intel(R) processor       1400MHz
                Voltage: 3.3 V 2.9 V
                External Clock: 100 MHz
                Max Speed: 1394 MHz
                Current Speed: 1394 MHz