[Fwd: Re: concern]

Jane Weideman janew at hbd.com
Wed Jun 1 10:39:00 CDT 2005

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: don hardaway <hardawayd at slu.edu>
To: janew at hbd.com
Subject: Re: concern
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 17:36:47 -0500

Jane Weideman wrote:

>On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 07:10 -0500, don hardaway wrote:
>

>>Jane Weideman wrote:
>>

>>>Hi Don,
>>>
>>>Are you happy with the response you got from the discussion list?
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>JaneW

>>Not really.  I was told to try to configure xsupplicant to get my
>>networking to work.  If I have problems I could email him for help.
>>This is similar to fedora.  What I was expecting from ubuntu since it
>>appears to be focused on making a really workable replacement for
>>windows is that someone would code a configuration program xsupplicant
>>so the user could simply enter the parameter choices and the network
>>then works.  This is the way I did it on my windows machine and it just
>>makes it easy for a user to make it work.  I hope Ubuntu will do the
>>same since it is the best enduser distro i have used in 5 years.
>>

>Hmm, I am not technical at all but have managed to connect via wireless
>and Ethernet to my work and home networks on Ubuntu ver 5.04 (Hoary)...
>
>JaneW

I can connect at home but there are a number technical parameters
possible when connecting to cisco routers or other routers that could
use a number of differenct options.  I saw where Shuttleworth initiated
a wireless effort on breezy so I was in hopes that his programmers would
build the interface.  I think they could do it pretty easily if it was a
priority.  I would be willing to test it if a programmer would code it.

don

p.s. here is a copy of the correspondence I received: Hoary (and even
warty) allow this too. But wireless networking in linux
is quite an underdeveloped area unfortunately. At my work, I use a
EAP-TTLS wireless network, which required hacking together a script to
make it work.

For eap-mschapv2 you can use xsupplicant, it's in the xsupplicant
package. Please read its manual and configuration file and try to set it
up yourself. If you fail getting it to work, feel free to contact me
off-list for advice.
--
JaneW