AudioInfrastructure, general desktop hotplug daemon

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Wed Jun 1 02:32:59 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:28:21PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi Matthew!
>
> Matthew Thomas [2005-06-01  8:34 +1200]:
> > How about just making the most-recently-connected available device the
> > default? I think that would do what you want in 99 percent of cases,
> > without an alert. In the other 1 percent of cases you could open the
> > Audio preferences yourself.
>
> If I plug in a headset, I don't want to play my music through it. My
> main sound card should stay the default device, instead I just want to
> use the headset for my VoIP client. OTOH, if I plug in my shiny new
> FurureTec DrumMaster with 26+1/2 channels, I do want it to become the
> default device. So ideally the dialog box gets an option to not show
> it again (and "just do it"), and not show it again (and "don't ever
> touch my holy config files").

Indeed.
Another thing that needs to be covered is some devices (such as USB
Webcams) offer a usb soundcard that only has a microphone, we probably
wouldn't want to make this the 'default'.

(A friend of mine had a problem where her webcam was plugged in and on
boot that module was loaded first and so she couldnt play any music
because it was a  microphone only device)

Cheers,
Trent

> What do you think?
>
> Martin