GIS packages for Ubuntu

saxifrage dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Sat Jul 30 21:37:14 CDT 2005

Excited to see other Ubuntu folks interested in GIS!  :grin:

I've bookmarked the UbuntuGIS page and plan on monitoring it to see how
the project evolves. I've already used it to check out a number of
programs to see which I want to install.

I am getting ready to compile GRASS, with JGRASS for a GUI, and that
brings me to my suggestion. Good GUIs for GRASS are important for
general users. I admit command line is powerful, but a GUI reduces the
learning curve necessary for those not using GRASS for higher level
analysis. Hopefully I'll get the two to work so I can report how useful
JGRASS is as a GUI.

Thank you for this effort!

--
saxifrage