UbuntuExpress's questions

Francisco Yuste Garcia francisco.yuste at hispalinux.es
Thu Jul 28 11:51:07 CDT 2005

El mié, 27-07-2005 a las 15:07 -0700, Matt Zimmerman escribió:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 07:33:13AM +0100, Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
> > I've been working on the UbuntuExpress and I was thinking about to
> > eliminate some questions. The reasons are they are not really necessary
> > and:
> > - questions = + easy = happier user ;-)
> >
> > My idea is to eliminate questions about language, keymap, timezone and
> > network.
>
> There was never a question about the network in the original spec, and I
> don't think that we need one.
>
> > The user already configures the language, keymap and timezone at the
> > start of the Live CD, so it's no point to ask again. And if the network
> > is not configured by the live system (casper or whatever), probably the
> > user does configure it in order to test well the system.
>
> The live CD does not ask the user for a time zone; it assumes UTC.
>
> > So I propose not to ask those things but copy the config from the live
> > system to the target installation.
> >
> > The UbuntuExpress (installer from the live CD) sequence would be:
> > 1- Welcome
> > 2- Ask for hostname, user's fullname, name and pass.
> > 3- Partitioning
> > 4- Progress bar (formating partitions, copy the system, copy the configs
> > and extra postconfig)
> > 5- Goodbye
> >

> > Anyone against this proposal? Comments?
>
> The prototype demonstrates my thoughts on which questions should be asked.
> The inputs to the backend are:

Can you give us a link to a rationale which could help me in order to
understand your thougts, Matt?

I think actually that Juan Jesús' equation (- questions = + easy =
happier user) ;-) is so attractive.

> (...)

Greetings.

PD: I'm sorry Matt. I forgot send it to the list :(.
--
Linux Registered User #297006, a.k.a. "andandare" [at] jabberes.org
Smartly using GNU/Linux Debian since 2000