using chroot option for ntpd

Zach uid000 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 16:40:36 CDT 2005

The very next step after gaining access is to escalate priveledges.
This is often done through a priviledge escalation vulnerability (such
as a service which only listens local, but runs as root), or by
exploiting system misconfiguration such as loose permisisons or weak
passwords.  A chroot goes a long way toward preventing priveledge
escalation.

I can't comment on whether it is worthwhile to chroot ntpd,
specifically.  I don't now how easy it is to exploit, or whether such
an exploit would/could yield interactive access.  However if I recall
correctly, the original poster indicated that ntpd had an option that,
when used, caused it to chroot itself.  If this is the case then it
seems as if it would be fairly easy to do, so why not?

At any rate the upshot is this: an attacker that has gained access to
the system is one step closer to owning that machine.  Chrooting is a
useful mitigation strategy that makes that process more difficult.  As
the folks at SANS would say, "defense in depth."  Trite but true.

Cheers
Zach

--
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=18267488