breezy preseed and mirror settings

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Sat Jul 23 11:22:59 CDT 2005

Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 10:36:13PM -0500, Carl Karsten wrote:
>
>>Something changed in the last few months.
>>
>>"failed to fetch http://.archive.ubuntu.com/release/dist/Release.gbg" and
>>other similar things.
>>
>>Notice the dot before archive - that and the fact that I expected it to use
>>192.168.1.7 are what I find odd.
>

>>From exactly which URL did you get the installer image you're using? I
> thought I fixed that one a while back.

um... I don't know.

Here is what I did this time:

mount -o loop /var/lib/tftpboot/ubuntu/breezy-install-i386.iso
/var/lib/tftpboot/ubuntu/breezy

rsync -avpzP --stats
cdimage.ubuntu.com::cdimage/daily/current/breezy-install-i386.iso
/var/lib/tftpboot/ubuntu/

(I don't think I re-mounted, so I bet I was using the old one from the last time I
rsynced which was "a while back" ;)

I have to mess with initrd to keep the length of the path short, otherwise I run
out of chars for passing kernel parameters.  That has been fixed in a current
version of pxelinux, but for testing Ubuntu I am trying got only use what is on
the Ubuntu CD.

root at shaz:/var/lib/tftpboot/sc/bzy # cp
../../ubuntu/breezy/install/netboot/ubuntu-installer/i386/initrd.gz .

Now I can use

label ubuntu-breezy-hands-off
# ubuntu instaler
         kernel ubuntu/breezy/install/netboot/ubuntu-installer/i386/linux
         append initrd=sc/bzy/initrd.gz ramdisk_size=14984 root=/dev/rd/0 rw
preseed/locale=en_US kbd-chooser/method=us netcfg/wireless_wep=
netcfg/choose_interface=eth1 netcfg/get_hostname=
preseed/url=http://192.168.1.7/preseed-breezy.cfg vga=6 --

I am about to try again after remounting the iso.

Carl K