recovery from stupid error

Ted G dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Thu Jul 21 18:55:32 CDT 2005

Since I have a gift for stating the obvious, I'll make use of it now.
Brett is correct that the majority of people who either steal or
attempt to hack into someone's computer are simply commiting crimes of
convenience. 20% of the population will attempt to steal from you
regardless of the security measures you take, and on the opposite side
of the spectrum, 20% of the population would not attempt to steal from
you even if you took no security precautions whatsoever. That leaves
60% of the population who constitute the thieves of convenience. These
people would never go out seeking to specifically steal anything, but
if they saw a wallet laying on the ground, or a car unlocked with
valuables sitting in the back seat, they would suddenly become a thief
simply because the opportunity presented itself to do so easily. Retail
stores count on this fact daily by placing insignificant little stickers
on the more expensive products. The stickers are easily removed and
therefore would merely constitute the "illusion" of security according
to those who would disagree with Brett's argument. This illusion,
however, has saved the retail industry millions of dollars in lost
merchandise since the EAS program began. Simply put, even something as
seemingly ineffective as a tiny sticker on a package, or a password on
a computer, will increase your odds of being secure from invasion/theft
from 20% to 80%. It isn't perfect security, but I like the odds better
on Brett's side.

--
Ted G