GTK 2.7 upload to the archive

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at debian.org
Mon Jul 18 09:46:35 CDT 2005

Hi,

The new GTK 2.8, based on cairo, is planned for "August 1,
2005" (http://gtk.org/plan/2.8/).

There was some upstream discussions about using 2.6 or 2.8 for GNOME
2.12
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-June/msg00017.html), based on some interrogations if the new GTK will be stable enough for GNOME 2.12 (GTK 2.4 had some issues which had an impact on GNOME and people don't want to get this again).

Some tarballs have been rolled since, the new version works fine and
bugs are fixed quite fast. The consensus on the new upstream discussion
about this
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-July/msg00342.html) seems to be that GNOME 2.12 will be shipped with GTK 2.8 (they reserve a way to roll back to 2.6 if required but since 2.7 works fine fine and GTK guys as responsive there is no real reason for that).

I'll upload the new pango/gtk packages to the archive this week if there
is no objection about it, please let me know now if you disagree with
that.

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher