[magnus@therning.org: Python distutils without python-dev?]

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Jul 16 17:34:57 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 11:10:14AM +0200, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>On za, 2005-07-16 at 09:19 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>Is there a reason to provide distutils somewhat crippled like this, or
>>is it a bug?
>
>There is a reason: the same reason that build-essential and sshd aren't
>installed by default. Aunt Tilly won't be needing python-dev (including
>distutils), just like she won't need build-essential or sshd, so why
>install it by default?

The python module distutils is part of python2.4 (installed by default
since ubuntu-desktop needs it), but it seems useless without installing
python2.4-dev. So, it seems Aunt Tilly get's a worthless distutils
whether she needs it or not, and if she ever would need it she will see
the error message:

 error: invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/lib/python2.4/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Then Aunt Tilly needs to find out what package contains this makefile
and install it.

Is this a bug or not?

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

This is an era when nonsense has become acceptable ad sanity is
controversial. Too many people fail to see a distinction between "rule of
the law" and the edicts of judges. Unfortunately, these people include many
judges.
     -- Thomas Sowell, in 1996