Windows migration tool?

Martin Alderson martinalderson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:39:42 CDT 2005

Has any thought been put towards a Windows migration tool?

I was thinking that this would be a nice idea for new users. It could
automount the Windows partition, search for
Firefox/IE/Thunderbird/Outlook/Outlook Express, find the mailboxes and
settings and copy them over, using the convertors that the Linux
equivalent programs have (Firefox --> Firefox would be very simple --
just copy the directory over!).

I suspect a fair bit of work would be needed on the GUI for the
program. Firstly, it'd have to give a list of Windows users (scanned
from windows-partition\documents and settings) and copy from the
respective Windows directory to the current user.

What else could be imported? Perhaps the 'My Documents' folder could
be copied across. Perhaps even reading and copying the users
wallpaper, and presenting a list of currently installed Windows
applications with their Linux equivalents if available. This could
even go as far as integrating with apt-get and automatically
installing the programs.

Obviously this would be a lot of effort but I'm sure in the end it
would be more than worth it in my opinion. It'd be great for many
users to slam a Ubuntu CD in, have it repartition and install,
automatically setup the hardware and then go and set programs up for
the user, and try and make them feel at home in their new environment.

This would be _incredibly_ smooth for the user and also, a huge
advantage over even Mac OS X.