problems with resolution settings and sudo

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Jul 14 14:34:29 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 12:53:28PM +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, saum wrote:
>
>Hello Saum,
>
>>can anyone tell me how to log into the UBUNTU 5.04 as root, i am
>>unable to log in as root.
>
>Run commands with 'sudo', a la:
>
>  sudo pico /etc/config_file
>  sudo apt-get install ...
>
>and enter your own password when asked.  See the documentation at:
>
>  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

<tongue-in-cheek>
Given how often that question comes up it might be worth looking into
ways of preventing it. A page on the Wiki doesn't seem to be enough.
Possible solutions:

 - Default background picture that contains, in large letters, the text
   "Wan't root? Use 'sudo'! See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo"

 - On first login of admin user throw up a browser that displays
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RootSudo

 - On first login of admin user throw up yelp with a page describing, in
   detail, how to use sudo.

 - On install don't progress to the stage where the system is rebooted
   into the freshly installed system until the person installing has
   completed a few multiple choice questions, possibly also a short
   essay, on the root/sudo topic.
</tongue-in-cheek>

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

This method, seemingly very clever, actually played into our hands!
And so it often happens that an apparently ingenious idea is in fact a
weakness which the scientific cryptographer seizes on for his
solution.
      -- Herbert Yardley, in _The American Black Chamber_