recovery from stupid error

Taco Witte tcwitte at cs.uu.nl
Thu Jul 14 03:50:15 CDT 2005

Hi,

Op do, 14-07-2005 te 15:25 +1000, schreef skaller:
> On Ubuntu, Hoary:
>
> I just accidentally deleted my home directory :)
[snip]

Perhaps something like pam_mkhomedir could be used -- if an account is
known in /etc/passwd and is supposed to be used for logins, there's no
risk in making a homedir if doesn't exist already.
I think we don't want to add measures to prevent people from deleting
their homedirectory, since I can only think about Windows-style measures
to do such a thing ("cd /home" gives a pop-up: "Hey, watch out, you
might delete things here and that might cause trouble! Are you sure you
sure you want to cd into this directory?").

Kind regards,
Taco