making a custom hoary-based LiveCD with a custom kernel

Maarten de Boer mdeboer at iua.upf.es
Mon Jul 11 07:48:04 CDT 2005

Hello,

I am trying to make a custom LiveCD, based on Hoary, and following the
instructions at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveCDCustomizationHowTo

I am running into problems because I want to use a custom kernel (2.6.12
+ Ingo Molnar realtime-preempt patch), because this LiveCD will be used
for demonstrating Linux audio. Using a custom kernel is not mentioned in
the HowTo...

I managed to boot the LiveCD with my kernel, but it fails with:
 Starting Ubuntu...
 NET: Registered protocol family 1
 pivot_root: No such file or directory
 /sbin/init: 428: cannot open dev/console: No such file

(I run the iso with qemu
$ qemu -boot d -cdrom /mnt/hda8/custom-hoary-live-i386.iso
)

Any help, including pointers to relevant documentation, would be
greatly appreciated.

maarten