Accepted xorg 6.8.2-11 (source)

John Skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jul 10 19:34:44 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 10:07 +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 09:34:30AM +1000, John Skaller wrote:

> > Can't such changes be handled in transition with a dummy package
> > that just forwards a dependency (possibly also providing
> > symlinks to remap the actual build environment namespaces)?
>
> Er, that's what we're already doing right now, by having
> libglu1-xorg-dev Provides: xlibmesa-glu, libglu-dev-xorg.

Oh, good -- so what's the problem? I mean there is
always a problem in a transition, slowly moving to the
new way, and maintaining both ways until the old way
is finally moved from 'deprecated' to 'not supported'.

>  I have to
> admit that you rather lost me at the symlink bit, though.

Simply changing build-depends is not enough to actually
build something using a library which has a different
name to what the build scripts expect -- so I was just
suggesting the obvious, to use a symlink so both old
and new library names can be used.

Its the same concept: the 'x provides y' is just a
package version of a symlink, however the build-depend
only declares it -- real links in the filesystem
are needed to provide it: assuming here that the library
is renamed, not just the package.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>
Download Felix: http://felix.sf.net