Automatic and silent installation of security updates

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 09:50:29 CDT 2005

Martin van de Streek wrote:

> There should be a big warning: "Not all packages on the system are up to
> date. [Upgrade now] [Upgrade later]" on login, and another (maybe not
> pop-up, have a look at the libnotify discussions going on currently)
> when updates become available.

I think a better icon in the panel for the update manager could achieve a lot
more visibility within the current framework.

I personally like the icons set that used to be found in Red Hat 9 and Fedora
1 (not sure what they use nowadays):  the big green button when system is up
to date, and big red pulsating icon when you need an upgrade.  Highly visible,
and easy to understand from an user point of view.   And always present:  I'm
sure a lot of inexperienced users lose the  update-manager notification area
from their panel in Ubuntu, but don't even know it's gone.  You need an icon
that is always there, when updates are there or not, to get the visual
reminder that thing are "working" and updated and are being checked
continuously by your computer.

--
Daniel Robitaille