A proposal: Acabuntu

brim4brim dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Wed Jul 6 11:01:00 CDT 2005

I've read this thread because as a student I'd be interested in such an
idea.  However this idea does seem more about ceratain packages missing
from the Ubuntu CD so why not just have an add on CD that contains the
rest of the packages required in an easy to use Synaptic installer
fashion.

I don't want to slam your idea of a seperate version of Ubuntu or
anything but I think having an entirely new version just for some extra
packages is a bad idea because it causes more difficulty when choosing
which distro to go with then which distro within that distro to
choose.

The project may have good intentions but it may confuse other users.
If you were going to do it you'd need the download page to seperate
with links for College Ubuntu, Home Ubuntu which would then offer
Kbuntu or Ubuntu (as I understand the different to be KDE in one, Gnome
in the other) then Mac/Pc downloads.  This may help avoid confusion
especially if there is a page with a description of the exact audience
a specific version is aimed at.

As a user new to Ubuntu I spent a long time looking for an easy to use
distro, Ubuntu was recommended to me and it really is a great, easy to
use distro but everything needs to be user friendly down to the website
downloads page.  Ubuntu is pretty much the default choice first distro
from any forum I've been to so I think a lot of effort should be made
to keep the ease of selection and use that Ubuntu is becoming popular
for.

Just a new comers opinion about how to approach branching Ubuntu for
targeting certain professions/users.

--
brim4brim