Wine packages, universe maintainence, and myself

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at canonical.com
Mon Jan 31 05:20:28 CST 2005

* Scott Ritchie

| Secondly, Wine, not being an emulator, has some rather important
| differences between architectures.  Wine really does need 3 different
| packages for the 3 different Ubuntu arches, as they each have some
| challenges.  The i386 one is the simplest, and is basically standard
| Wine.  The PPC arch can only run winelib apps, so it may need some
| trimming down and added documentation to prevent confusion.  The 64 bit
| version of Wine represents the most interesting challenge, as Wine will
| still need the old 32 bit libraries to run 32 bit Windows applications.
| According to forum posts I've read, Wine packages not currently doing
| this easily is actually a blocker for some users in switching to 64 bit
| Ubuntu.

(I'm the AMD64 czar in Ubuntu, so the 64 bit issues are the most
interesting to me.)

There are two ways to go about to get 32 bit libraries into a 64 bit
package.  The first is the ia32-libs approach: Have a source package
with both the source and binary debs in it and a script to build the
binaries from the source; an example is ia32-libs and
ia32-libs-openoffice.org.  The other way is to do nothing and wait for
multiarch to materialise.  I'm doing that as my master's thesis, so I
hope to have something working by this summer.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-