Java Integration

Remm dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Wed Jan 26 16:29:43 CST 2005

Jerry Haltom Wrote:
> Seeking comments, suggestions and conversation on Java Integration
> efforts in Ubuntu, Jeff Bailey and I have prepared the following wiki
> page:
>
> https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/JavaIntegration
>
> A lot of good discussion has happened on the wiki. I would like to see
> some good discussion happen on the mailing list. Please bring up any
> any
> subject related to Java integration in Ubuntu which has not already
> been
> covered on the wiki. Feel free to add comments to the wiki as well.

My experience with Ubuntu is quite limited at this point, so I
apologize in advance if I don't know processes very well. I know Java a
bit better.

(All this is IMO)

In Java, performance is one thing, and usability, robustness and
completeness is more important (at least at first). It is worth noting
that microbenchmarks are usually not indicative of real world
performance (Mauve could be better, but IMO a compliance test suite is
a bad benchmark).

The requirements are also completely different if you are doing client
or server side stuff. On the server side, ease of deployment and
robustness are more important, whereas on the client startup
performance matters more.

For client applications, native compilation could be very good (loading
speed and resource usage should be way better than a JIT), but I would
be extremely careful about that for application servers. This might be
a non goal here, however ;)

>From my testing with the stuff I'm interested in, Kaffe for the server
side (it has low resource usage and acceptable performance) and gcj for
the client (I've heard very bad things about it on the server side) seem
the best at the moment.

--
Remm