Nautilus: select specific file in large directory

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Tue Jan 25 06:57:42 CST 2005

When having a window in front with about 100 files, searching for the
specific file "pulp fiction.avi" can take a while. This is a feature
request for nautilus to make this easier, and I'd like to hear if people
find it a good idea.

Now, I'd like to press 'p', and go to the files with p. But it selects
the first file with a name starting with letter p, and no further (often
this is a subfolder). But I'd like to traverse all files starting with
either "p" or "P", by pressing 'p' over and over. In MS Windows (I
think, not sure) this works, and you can even go to the file by typing
"pul" relatively fast, which is even better.

Now, Firefox has the "Find" field at the bottom, when you start typing
with a '/' or hit ctrl-F... Maybe in nautilus when one starts typing a
"Jump to file" firefox-like-bottom-thing could appear where one could
enter the start of a name quickly, with live (while typing) selection of
the first matched file. (No escaping with '/' necessary, I suppose, as
all other thinks are escaped by CTRL. )

So basically it's like the functionality in - I believe - MS explorer,
but with a firefox-like think that gives more visual feedback.

This should not be a major eye-catcher, just suble extra feature like in
firefox. Maybe a button "Search for files" botton could be at the right
in the "jump to file"-bar, so people can easily do more advances
searching as well.

Thanks for reading, I hope to hear some response.

Eric