LTSP on Ubuntu

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Mon Jan 24 21:08:44 CST 2005

On 01:19, Sun 23 Jan 05, Matt Oquist wrote:
> Hi everybody, I'm quite interested in LTSP on Ubuntu, and I'd love to
> help bring it into being.  I have lots of Linux experience and I'm
> a programmer, but I've never used Debian so I'm still learning those
> ropes, and I've never been a package creator/maintainer on any distro.
> :(

Same here buddy....:-)

> JDZ - that's a great HowTo you put together in the Wiki.  I'll have to
> try it out soon - perhaps this next week, if I'm lucky...
>
> We should probably try banging out an initial .deb ASAP, so at least
> there's a starting point for people who want to work on this.  The
> Debian project has some great documentation on how to learn about
> package creation and maintenance; I've started to read some of the New
> Maintainer's Guide, but it's an extensive document and I have a lot
> more to read.

Don't get too hooked for the NM guide, it's a mere to taste
it IMHO :) , you may want to try reading the Debian Developer Reference as well, it
may give some more complete information. and always there the main text about the
Debian Policy (The Debian Policy Manual) which is a must read for anybody wanting to
understand how pkg management works, by design ;-)

> Regarding the discussion of a 2.6 kernel - that would be great but
> wouldn't it be better to start with what's there and working?  Why not
> do the easy thing first, and then build up to the hard thing?

Sure, this is the way to go about this - first make what we
can , then improve on that ground.

> I've been learning a lot about the LTSP lately as I've been
> contracting at a school district (Exeter, NH, U.S.A.) that is
> migrating to the Fedora-based K12LTSP custom distribution - and that
> brings up one more thing.  Installing the LTSP on Ubuntu should at
> least have the option of configuration help like the K12LTSP gives
> - if you select the "K12LTSP" option when you install, everything is
> configured for you out-of-the-box.  You finish the installation and
> reboot the servers, and your thin clients are already usable.  LTSP on
> Ubuntu must be that easy for schools to adopt it.  (And while the LTSP
> should of course be usable by anyone, I have a particular interest in
> seeing schools switch to Ubuntu, and a solid LTSP offering will help
> immensely.)

This is a very good idea, since Fedora is already doing soem
interesting things and jdub already noted things can be
learned from it I think we should try and see whatever we can
"borrow"  from them, I am sure that they will be thrilled with
us basing our work on their pioneering ground for out of the
box setups of LTSP servers. Anybody care to contact any
fedora people on that see what ideas/code snippets can be
used to derive on?

> It's good to meet all of you folks who are interested in this.  Shall
> we use JDZ's HowTo as our gathering place for LTSP collaboration?
> I searched the Wiki briefly and didn't find another obvious discussion
> taking place.  (Granted, it was a brief search so I may have missed
> something.)

Yes, I may even start an own page for this project, as it
may have some very nice implicationo for ubuntu - I think I
will put it under the wiki/ServerTeam page that I created -
after all, this is yet another rawking feature to make
ubuntu very attractive as a server platform.

Sivan Green