Menus in Hoary/Gnome2.9

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Jan 22 03:06:59 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:20:53AM -0600, Jerry Haltom wrote:
>It was my belief that Ubuntu simply used Gnome's code to make a kick
>ass distribution, not that they were bound by every stupid thing Gnome
>did.  Witness the menus in Warty which are not standard 2.8 menus.

I think the patch for the menus in Warty is minor, i.e. they are a patch
to change the items in the menu. What you are proposing is a patch that
replaces all the code that handles the menus. The difference is
substantial.

I don't think the Ubuntu maintainers are too interested in maintaining
patches of the size you are proposing (porting the old menu-system to
the newer version of GNOME). At the same time they don't want to lag too
far behind the GNOME release schedule. There's a conflict here, and I
for one believe that Ubuntu makes the right trade-off.

/M

magnus at therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

by patent law on written works.

Prediction is especially difficult. Especially about the future.
     -- Niels Bohr