RSS in Hoary

Rui Tiago Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 20:33:46 CST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:58:17 -0800, Justin Mason <jm at jmason.org> wrote:

> Lex Hider writes:
> > On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 17:38 -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:
> > > I see that in Warty the current RSS solution is "Use Firefox Live
> > > Bookmarks."  This is very skeletal and poor.  I suggest a light-weight
> > > news agregator for Hoary.  Liferea is already in Universe, and should be
> > > brought into Main.  It is very lightweight; the 0.5 package for core and
> > > gtkhtml are 306kB, 1085kB unpacked.
> >
> > I agree that Liferea would be a good addition to hoary.
> > To make this suggestion more official add it at:
> > http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/SupportedSeedProposals/
>
> FWIW, Straw is available (and now working) in universe. in my opinion,
> Straw is more usable than Liferea:
>
> - - it includes extensive keyboard navigation options, and can generally be
>   used entirely via the keyboard; the spacebar navigates through unread
>   feeds in the normal newsreader style.  This is the main point where
>   Liferea lost out for me.
>
> - - it uses a very liberal feed parser, and I haven't yet run into an
>   RSS/Atom feed it couldn't parse.
>
> - - it looks good; normal 3-pane layout, and gtkhtml widget used for
>   display.  (I think that's got to be the baseline anyway.)
>
> - - pretty good integration with firefox -- adding a feed from FF is
>   simply a matter of dragging the RSS link into the Straw window
>   and dropping.
>
> Having said all that, I'm not sure if Liferea still has the issues
> it had when I tried it last, as that was several months ago.

Even though I also haven't tried the new 0.9 Liferea I agree that
Straw is better in some regards (except mainly in it's  disability to
use proxies).

Lately though I've been looking to give a try to Blam: it seems quite
good looking reminding me of one the best RSS readers I've seen
working, NewsFire for OSX.

Rui