Array CD 3
cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 20 13:00:04 CST 2005
Array CD 3 is ready. This is the third in a series of milestone CD
images, released when they're known to be reasonably free of showstopper
CD-build or installer bugs, while representing very current snapshots of
Hoary. You can download it here:
See http://www.ubuntu.com/wiki/Archive for access instructions. I
recommend rsync if possible, as you can then download future images
based on this one to save bandwidth.
Pre-release versions of Hoary are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional
breakage. They *are* recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who
want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.
Some notable installer improvements and bug-fixes in this release:
* End-to-end secure netboot installation: all our Release files are
signed using the archive signing key  or the CD image key ,
and the installer verifies these signatures at each step. (The
netboot kernel and initrd themselves are contained in the CD images,
which are accompanied by MD5SUMS and MD5SUMS.gpg files).
* Timezone and username/password questions moved to the first stage.
The question about installing packages from the network remains in
the second stage for now, but will eventually be moved as well.
* Rudimentary rescue mode added: boot with the 'rescue/enable=true'
parameter to use it. Its UI still needs significant polishing work.
* Default debconf priority dropped from critical to high, and several
questions adjusted; this fixes some automatic installation
scenarios, makes it easier to merge changes back and forward with
Debian, and makes it possible to share code between the first and
* Example sources.list lines for security/universe fixed.
* Support for Smart Boot Manager should work better now, although I
haven't tested it personally.
* Size requirement for a USB drive used to boot the installer reduced
to 8 megabytes.
* Fixed installation on large filesystems with long device names
* Much improved and more flexible kernel selection logic.
* Fixed default hostname when network configuration is skipped in
first stage (#2844).
* Fix part of Array CD 2 erratum: the framebuffer should now reliably
* Several fixes to the ia64 installer; much work remains to be done.
Known installer issues:
* On my amd64 system, grub enters an infinite loop trying to load
stage 1.5. I've never seen this before, and suspect hardware
problems, but if it affects other people too I'd like to know about
If you're interested in following changes as we further develop Hoary,
have a look at the hoary-changes list:
Bug reports should go here:
pub 1024D/437D05B5 2004-09-12 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>
sig 3 437D05B5 2004-09-12 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>
sig 3 AB2A91F5 2004-09-22 James Troup <james at nocrew.org>
sub 2048g/79164387 2004-09-12
sig 437D05B5 2004-09-12 Ubuntu Archive Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster at ubuntu.com>
pub 1024D/FBB75451 2004-12-30 Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <cdimage at ubuntu.com>
sig 3 FBB75451 2004-12-30 Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <cdimage at ubuntu.com>
sig 3 10FA4CD1 2004-12-31 Colin Watson <cjwatson at flatline.org.uk>
Colin Watson [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 253 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/attachments/20050120/755795c8/attachment.pgp
More information about the ubuntu-devel