Fedora Core 4 Plans

Joe Zicarelli joe.zicarelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:39:52 CST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:50:28 +1100, Jeff Waugh <jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> No one's posted this yet, so:
>
>   http://lwn.net/Articles/119500/
>
>  * They have similar goals with Xorg, GNOME, KDE (as per the Kubuntu team)
>    and OpenOffice.org 2.0 - we still have a maybe on that.
>
>  * They're going to be doing Xen stuff, much along the same lines as we
>    talked about at Mataró -> we probably won't have this for hoary, but we
>    should plan to have Xen fully integrated into our kernel packages for
>    bendy
>
>  * Faster boot -> they should hope so, ours is rocking the casbah :-)
>
>  * "Extras at launch time. Or else." -> it will take a while for them to
>    gear up to the scale and usefulness of universe. ;-)
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
> GUADEC 2005: Stuttgart, Germany                      http://2005.guadec.org/
>
>      "Everyone's a little queer, why can't she be a little straight?" -
>                            Weezer, Pink Triangle

I like where Fedora is headed, in addition to totally digging the
whole Ubuntu process.  The faster boot work is awsome.  Good things
happening with Linux distros!

I did find this interesting from the Core 4 plans:

* Java - More native-compiled GCJ stuff. Including Eclipse.

Would GCJ be anything Ubuntu take advantage of?  From what I
understand distributing any decent java-vm is a licencing mess.

-jdz