Rsyncable LiveCD overview

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 17 01:20:18 CST 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-15 at 21:45 +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:

> This idea is already built into 'gzip' and can be enabled with the
> '--rsyncable' argument.  In Ubuntu and Debian, all the '.deb's are built
> this way to reduce rsync-traffic.

This is untrue, .deb files are not rsyncable and can change wildly
between version-to-version.

dpkg-deb does not call gzip, but is statically linked to zlib which does
not support 'rsyncable' images.  Colin and I actually talked about this
only a week or so ago, and he filed a bug on the zlib Debian package to
include support for rsyncable output.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant     Linux.Ars: Best Community, Best Distribution and
scott at ubuntu.com                   Best Newcomer 2004:  Ubuntu Linux