Problem upgrading to linux-image-2.6.10-2-686

Jason Pearce jason_pearce at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 02:04:15 CST 2005

Booting the 2.6.10-2-686 kernel gives me the following errors (preceded
by the last normal line).

device-mapped: 4.3.0-ioctl (2004-09-30) initialised:
dm-devel at redhat.com
Segmentation fault
pivot-root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 428: cannot open dev/console: No such file

Some notes:
I have the root filesystem installed on an lvm partition. The lvm group
is usually detected on the line where it says "Segmentation fault."
I have been following Hoary for some time now but hadn't upgraded
packages for several days untill now.
running "dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.10-2-686" does not solve the
problem so it is repeatable with my current config.

If you need any other information, let me know.

Off topic question:
Pressing <CTRL><ALT><DELETE> after the kernel panic reboots the system.
Is this new behavior? I've previously always had to press the reset or
power button on the computer after a kernel panic. Not that I'm
complaining, just curious. The previous behavior has always frustrated me.