Ubuntu has change the naming of kernel packages!

Colin Watson cjwatson at canonical.com
Thu Jan 13 03:27:09 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 10:19:10AM +0100, Benoit Caccinolo wrote:
> Trying to install my kernel headers like I always done it with an
> `apt-get install kernel-header*` under Debian, I discover under Ubuntu
> that some headers packages was named linux-headers* and others
> kernel-headers. And it's the same thing with images.
>
> Does anyone have the reason of this weird unconsistency in the package
> naming?

All native-to-Ubuntu Linux kernel packages are called "linux-*". We were
completely changing the way the kernel packages worked for
maintainability reasons anyway, so we took the opportunity to rename
them to what the upstream source is really called.

Any "kernel-*" packages you see are relics from Debian imports.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson at canonical.com]