Old Gnome menus not being fully recognised

nuopus dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Mon Jan 10 11:40:44 CST 2005

Oliver Grawert Wrote:
> hi,
> Am Montag, den 10.01.2005, 08:35 +0000 schrieb Mark C:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just done a fresh install of Hoary, and then installed my usual
> > apps I tend to use, some of these generally put menu items under
> >
> > /usr/share/gnome/apps/
> hmm, mine are stored in /usr/share/applications/ in hoary as well as in
> warty....
>
> ciao
> 	oli
>
> --
> got ubuntu ? --------------> GET UBUNTU !!!
> http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

The old gnome specification is in /usr/share/gnome/apps. He was not
asking for what you have, he is asking if they can maintain backwards
compatibility with the old gnome structure.

Lots of the programs in the repositories create menu entries in the old
style. Good examples are Pan, Tuxpaint ... and others.  Actually, the
/usr/share/gnome/apps is being read .. it is in the definition, but
some entries are not displayed because they have no categories. The old
style would place categories by looking at the directory the file is in.
I have found that you can just edit the file in there, add a categories
line and it will work ... not need to move them to
/usr/share/applications ... so i'm sure an attempt at backwards
compatibility is being attempted.

The thing I don't like is a response I got from a devloper stating that
app programs should follow the new menu specification ... and the
maintainer of each of the packages should change to the new menu
system. In my mind, this is a poor way to develop software that is not
a complete rewrite of the original software .... backward compatibility
is just a good idea. But ... it is still in development. I hope that
developer is not speaking for the community when he essentially says
that everyone must conform or everyone will get left behind. This is
just ode to the Microsoft mentality.

--
nuopus