Old Gnome menus not being fully recognised

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Mon Jan 10 09:16:57 CST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:40:08 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Why not just using the freedesktop specification for desktop files ?

Because the distros that people actually use invariably patch the hell out
of the menus code. Right now I think only Fedora uses the new XDG menu
spec, and it's currently being pushed upstream into GNOME 2.10. I don't
know what Ubuntu uses but unless there has been lots of backporting action
it's probably the old vFolder spec used by GNOME 2.8 upstream.

Unfortunately some distros like NLD actually run two menu systems at once,
so it all gets complicated awfully fast, and is very fragile and
prone to break whenever a new distro gets released. Hopefully once GNOME
supports the XDG menu spec upstream we'll see all this distro patching and
custom menu systems like Debians/Mandrakes disappear and it'll become a
lot more reliable.

thanks -mike