Adding ISDN drivers (AVM Fritz) to lrm

Matt Zimmerman mdz at canonical.com
Mon Jan 10 01:03:07 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 07:52:18AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 09.01.2005, 16:42 -0800 schrieb Matt Zimmerman:
> > On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 07:22:11PM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> >
> > > The added ISDN drivers and firmware for various AVM Fritz cards increase
> > > the lrm modules "a bit". Each one of the 10 modules varies between 600k
> > > and 850k, adding firmware (300k - 1200k). The current modules can be
> > > found at http://people.ubuntu.com/~doko/lrm/ . If these modules should
> > > be separated in their own packages, how should these be called? Of
> > > course the packages are built from the same source, so you do have to
> > > build no more packages.
> >
> > What is the total size increase (in debs and in the source package)?
>
> source about 6mb, debs about 3mb for each module package built on i386,
> plus the firmware package (1,3mb), and the avm-fritz-kernel-source
> package (3,4mb).

Currently, all of the modules and firmware output by
linux-restricted-modules are placed in a single package, which is about 1.5M
(deb) or 4-5M (installed) on i386.

So you are saying that if we include these drivers, each
linux-restricted-modules package would be 4.5M (deb), and there would also
be one (architecture-independent) firmware package of 1.3M?

> debs size increase in total about 20mb.
> the source tarball is currently added as a uuencoded tarball to the
> diff.

The source should be included in the .orig.tar.gz, as the others are.  This
should be both simpler and more space-efficient.

--
 - mdz